All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSimon Hall's second book is set in the mid-1970s during the closing years of the golden age of British shipping, when cargo carriage at sea saw radical change and the romance of being at sea in old-style cargo ships came to an end. Hall's account is of five years during which he worked as a junior officer in the Far East and South Pacific. This is ordinary memoir; the prose is vividly expressed, often shocking, often elegiac as evidenced by his description of a night watch in the Indian Ocean: alone on the bridge wing in the warm tropical night, I heard the wind sing through the stays as an Aeolian harp and I felt ainted by my good fortune. On loading rubber and timber in Sarawak he writes: The whole pace of life slowed, it felt as torpid as the idle Rajang river itself and we all slowed with it. Everything was so still, so unmoving, as if the whole world had lain down and gone to sleep.His descriptions of jaunts in forgotten parts of the world are strikingly expressed and there is added poignancy from the charting of Hall's decline into alcohol abuse, expressed in a way that is in turn both sad and shocking: I ordered ather cold beer and lit ather cigarette, then sat with the ghost of my past dreams while the afteron died around us and we surveyed the wreckage of all my hopes. This is an important work that captures an age w vanished, written in a style too rarely encountered.
- Author BiographySimon Hall is a Master Mariner and currently Chief Executive of a financial group. He is the author of Under a Yellow Sky which was nominated for the Mountbatten Maritime Award in 2014.
- Author(s)Simon J. Hall
- PublisherWhittles Publishing
- Date of Publication20/04/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationCaithness
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWhittles Publishing
- Content Noteillustrated with b/w photos
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.