All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe study of the work of Geoffrey Chaucer - still regarded as a literary genius more than 600 years after his death - centres on the problems of detailed readings of his poetry (including in some cases the textual authority for these readings) and the historical context that gives them meaning. In some ways, the modern understanding of the shaping historical context was undermined in the second half of the twentieth century by the dogmatism of Robertsonian Augustinianism, as a basis for the interpretation of medieval literature in general and of Chaucer's poetry in particular, and at the same time by the reactions of determined opposition provoked by this approach. Undeniably, medieval views often fail to coincide with modern ones and they are frequently uncomfortable for modern readers. Nevertheless, Chaucer's brilliance as an observer of the human scene coexists with and irradiates these unfamiliar medieval ideas. The essays in this volume explore in detail the historical context of Chaucer's poetry, in which orthodox Catholic ideas rather than revolutionary Wycliffite ones occupy the central position. At the same time, they offer detailed readings of his poetry and that of his famous contemporaries in an attempt to do justice to the independent and original work of these poetic masters, writing in the great royal households of England in the period 1360-1400.
- Author BiographyGerald Morgan was formerly a Senior Lecturer and Fellow at Trinity College Dublin. His publications include The Tragic Argument of Troilus and Criseyde (2005) and The Shaping of English Poetry: Essays on 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight', Langland, Chaucer and Spenser (Peter Lang, 2010).
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication22/02/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight440 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byGerald Morgan
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.77Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.