All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWalter B. Cheadle's diary tells his incredible story of travelling with Lord Milton, as they journeyed along the uncharted Yellowhead route in 1862-63. A miraculously successful expedition, the men traversed the continent, making their way from Quebec, through Saskatchewan, Alberta, up the Athabasca River, risking their lives opening the trails through the Canadian Rockies, and eventually arriving in Victoria, British Columbia, in 1863. Cheadle's candid and gritty but also humorous account tells, in intimate detail, what life and travel was like in the Northwest and BC during the latter days of the fur-trade era. He ackwledges the heavy debt owed by all the early explorers to the Plains Indians, who passed on to the first white men their sophistication in the ways of the wilderness. He also records the gradual demoralization of the Native people under the impact of European culture. A welcome addition to the Classics West series, Cheadle's Journal is a rare and important document of a remarkable life and time.
- Author BiographyWalter Butler Cheadle was educated at Gaius College, Cambridge, and studied medicine at St. George's Hospital, London. In 1861, he interrupted his studies to join Lord Milton on the expedition documented in Cheadle's Journal. Mount Cheadle, located in the Monashee Range of British Columbia, was named in honour of his trip to this area. Intrumental in his field of medicine, Cheadle was an avid advocate of women's rights in the study of medicine, and was the first man to lecture at the London School of Medicine for Woman. He is also credited as having distinguished scurvy from rickets in 1878. Walter Cheadle died in London, England, in 1910.
- Author(s)Walter B. Cheadle
- PublisherTouchWood Editions
- Date of Publication12/03/2010
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationVictoria, BC
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTouchWood Editions
- Content Noteb/w illus
- Weight370 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Introduction byStephen R. Bown
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.