All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe wealthy riverside neighbourhood of Chelsea, situated in the centre of the capital, began as a Saxon village outside of London town. Although its population had grown to 3,000 by 1694, Chelsea was still considered rural, which was part of its attraction as a fashionable destination for the rich. With the development boom of the nineteenth century, however, the 'village of palaces' was fully absorbed into the metropolis, yet retained its charm and identity separate from the surrounding city. Chelsea Bridge opened in 1858, Albert Bridge in 1873, and the Chelsea Embankment in 1874. During the nineteenth century, the district's Victorian artists' colony gave it a reputation for bohemian creativity, and this re-emerged in the 1960s when Chelsea became identified with 'Swinging London', a centre of creativity and expression. The story of the district, home of the famous Chelsea bun, the Chelsea Porcelain Factory and Chelsea FC is chronicled in this unique collection of old and new images.
- Author BiographyBrian Girling, a keen London historian, was born in London in 1940 and has lived either in central or outer London all his life. After 30 years as a social and wedding photographer he is now a picture postcard dealer and has access to a large private archive of photographic images of London. Brian has published several previous titles on London's history for Amberley. He currently lives in Harrow.
- Author(s)Brian Girling
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication12/02/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.