All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Industry-University Cooperative Chemistry Program has sponsored seven previous international symposia covering a wide variety of topics of interest to industrial and academic chemists. The eighth IUCCP symposium, held March 19-22, 1990, at Texas A&M University, represents a deviation from the former symposia, in that it is the first of a two-symposium series dedicated to the rapidly moving new field of industrial biochemistry that has beco~e kwn as biotechlogy. Biotechlogy is really t a new discipline, but rather is a term coined to describe the new and exciting commercial applications of biochemistry. The development of the field of biotechlogy is a direct result of recombinant DNA techlogy, which began in earnest about 15 years ago. Today, we can routinely do experiments that were inconceivable in the early 1970's. Only comparatively simple techlogy available even in small laboratories is required to synthesize a gene and from it, to produce vast amounts of biological materials of ermous commercial value. These technical developments and others have stimulated increased activities in the field of enzyme biotechlogy, using enzymes to catalyze unnatural reactions to produce complex molecules with stereochemical precision. It is true today, we can readily produce DNA fragments that will encode any ami acid sequence that we might desire, but at this point, our foundation of basic kwledge falls short. The dream of designer enzymes is still a fantasy, but the current wave of research activity and exciting new developments suggest that in the future the dream may become a reality.
- PublisherSpringer Science+Business Media
- Date of Publication01/04/1991
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleIndustry-university Cooperative Chemistry Program Symposia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1540 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Volume editorThomas O. Baldwin,etc.
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.