All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a fascinating look at the origins of the iconic cheongsam dress, and its social and cultural importance in Singapore. Spanning almost a century, this book examines the origins and development of the cheongsam in the social context of Singapore since its introduction from Shanghai, China, in the 1920s to the present day. The cheongsam, a one-piece Chinese ladies' dress that was the epitome of Chinese identity and feminine beauty during the middle decades of the 20th century. Initially seen as a symbol of a trendy, new, Republican China, shorn of the shackles of the imperial system, the cheongsam soon adopted intellectual overtones, and was favoured by the sophisticated and society's elite at elaborate social functions. When it was abandoned following the success of the Communist Party in China, the cheongsam survived in Singapore as the garment of choice for independent, educated women.
- Author BiographyLee Chor Lin is director of the National Museum of Singapore and a specialist on Asian textiles and Buddhist art. Chung May Khuen is the curator of the Fashion Gallery in the National Museum of Singapore.
- Author(s)Chor Lin Lee,Chung May Khuen
- PublisherEditions Didier Millet Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication27/12/2012
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintEditions Didier Millet Pty Ltd
- Content Notephotographs & illustrations throughout
- Weight748 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.59Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.63
- AU $21.66Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.