Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $16.81Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $25.13+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSidonie-Gabrielle Colette (1873 1954), one of the most popular and best loved of modern French writers, became kwn simply as Colette when she married in 1893. Her husband, a Parisian man-about-town and the son of a major publisher, made use of her literary talents by publishing her first several vels under his own name his only changes, evidently, being to make them more prurient. But eventually she broke free of this unhappy marriage and took flight on her own, as a fiction writer, a journalist, and an actress. By the time Cheri was published in 1920, Colette had become well kwn both as a writer and as a personality and was entering a period of rich personal growth and happiness.Published when the author, like her heroine, was in her late 40s, Cheri is a delicate analysis of a May-December romance. The story of a love affair between Lea, a still-beautiful 49-year-old ex-courtesan, and Cheri, a handsome but selfish young man 30 years her junior, it offers a superb study of age and sexuality, written in a personal style that reveals the author's keen powers of observation. While the theme of a young man who deserts his older mistress is a familiar one, in this vel, Colette makes it her own. As Stanley Appelbaum tes, Colette's distinctive style, made up of swift, sure, almost impressionistic touches, and the skillful use of leitmotifs, enables her to create her own atmosphere and her own emotional universe. Widely considered the author's best work, the vel appears here in the original French with an excellent new English translation by Stanley Appelbaum on the facing pages. The translator also has provided an informative introduction to Colette and her work, and to this vel in particular.
- Author BiographyStanley Appelbaum served for decades as Dover's Editor in Chief until his retirement in 1996. He continues to work as a selector, compiler, editor, and translator of literature in a remarkable range of languages that includes Spanish, Italian, French, German, and Russian.
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/01/2009
- LanguageEnglish & French
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width146 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.