All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.64Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionChess Rules of Thumb gives you the winning principles of chess in clear, short statements. Three-time US Champion Lev Alburt and World Chess Hall of Fame Curator Al Lawrence have put together three centuries of insights from the masters. Fun to browse or to read from cover-to-cover, it's a book that all chess playersfrom beginners to grandmasterslwiull enjoy for a lifetime. Like life, chess has its rules. The difference that your parents probably didn't tell you about chess. *Never cross the street before looking both ways. *Never discuss portable explosives in the airport security line. *Never overthrow the cut-off man. *Never download email from someone you don't kw. *Never take the queen's knight pawn. Save hours of head-scratching and uncertainty in your own games and understand why the masters make the moves they do: *The worst square for a White knight is b.2. *With rook vs. two knights, exchanging queens is worth a pawn. *Never capture the b.2 pawn with the queen. *Rooks united on the seventh are blind pigs. *The winner is the one who commits the next-to-last mistake. Backed up with diagrams and illustrations to help you remember key principles, a glossary of essential chess terms and a rundown on all major openings, Chess Rules of Thumb will improve your chess play. And it's great fun to read! *Never buy a chess book that isn't fun!
- Author BiographyInternational Grandmaster Lev Alburt, three-time U.S. champion and former European champion, is one of the most sought-after chess teachers in the world. He lives in New York. New Yorker Al Lawrence is one of the most popular modern chess authors. A former high school and college teacher with advanced degrees in instructional techniques, he specializes in applying modern teaching theory to chess. He is also a recipient of the Chess Journalist of the Year award.
- Author(s)Al Lawrence,Lev Alburt
- PublisherChess Information & Research Center
- Date of Publication20/07/2004
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChess Information & Research Center
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight180 g
- Width129 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.