All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChicas and Chicanas, or Mexican Americans, are deeply rooted in the cultures of African, European, and Native American groups. The richness of Chica culture is especially evident in such folklore genres as myths, tales, legends, traditional beliefs, songs, games, and riddles. Written especially for high school students and general readers, this book is an introductory guide to Chica folklore. It defines and classifies the folklore, provides numerous examples and texts, discusses the presence of Chica folklore in literature and popular culture, and reviews scholarship and criticism. Written expressly for high school students and general readers, the volume classifies and defines Chica folklore and provides background information on the historical contexts in which Chicas have thrived. It also provides numerous examples and texts from various folklore genres and discusses the importance of Chica folklore to literature and popular culture. In addition, it reviews scholarship and critical approaches and closes with a bibliography and glossary. This book will help students appreciate America's cultural diversity as they learn about the fascinating traditions of this important ethnic group.
- Author BiographyMARIA HERRERA-SOBEK holds the Luis Leal Endowed Chair in Chicano Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Her many books include The Bracero Experience: Elitelore versus Folklore (1979), The Mexican Corrido: A Feminist Analysis (1990), and Northward Bound: The Mexican Immigrant Experience in Ballad and Song (1993). In addition, she has edited numerous anthologies and published more than a hundred articles.
- Author(s)Maria Herrera-Sobek
- Date of Publication01/05/2006
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Social Sciences
- Series TitleGreenwood Folklore Handbooks
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight672 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.