All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1925 Adolfo 'Babe' Romo, a Mexican American rancher in Tempe, Arizona, filed suit against his school district on behalf of his four young children, who were forced to attend a markedly low-quality segregated school, and won. But Romo v. Laird was just the beginning. Some sources rank Mexican Americans as one of the most poorly educated ethnic groups in the United States. Chica Students and the Courts is a comprehensive look at this community's long-standing legal struggle for better schools and educational equality. Through the lens of critical race theory, Valencia details why and how Mexican American parents and their children have been forced to resort to legal action. Chica Students and the Courts engages the many areas that have spurred Mexican Americans to legal battle, including school segregation, financing, special education, bilingual education, school closures, undocumented students, higher education financing, and high-stakes testing, ultimately situating these legal efforts in the broader scope of the Mexican American community's overall struggle for the right to an equal education. Extensively researched, and written by an author with firsthand experience in the courtroom as an expert witness in Mexican American education cases, this volume is the first to provide an in-depth understanding of the intersection of litigation and education vis-a-vis Mexican Americans.
- Author BiographyRichard R. Valencia is Professor of Educational Psychology, Faculty Associate of the Center for Mexican American Studies, and Fellow in the Lee Hage Jamail Regents Chair in Education at The University of Texas at Austin. His books include Chicano School Failure and Success.
- Author(s)Richard R. Valencia
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2008
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Series TitleCritical America Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Note13 black & white illustrations
- Weight794 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.