Chick Flicks: Theories and Memories of the Feminist Film Movement by B. Ruby Rich (Paperback, 1998)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $54.96Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by kamilc1
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
About this product
- DescriptionIf there was a moment during the sixties, seventies, or eighties that changed the history of the women's film movement, B. Ruby Rich was there. Part journalistic chronicle, part memoir, and 100% pure cultural historical odyssey, Chick Flicks-with its definitive, the-way-it-was collection of essays-captures the birth and growth of feminist film as other book has done. For over three decades Rich has been one of the most important voices in feminist film criticism. Her presence at film festivals (such as Sundance, where she is a member of the selection committee), her film reviews in the Village Voice, Elle, Out, and the Advocate, and her commentaries on the public radio program The World have secured her a place as a central figure in the remarkable history of what she deems cinefeminism. In the hope that a new generation of feminist film culture might be revitalized by reclaiming its own history, Rich introduces each essay with an autobiographical prologue that describes the intellectual, political, and personal moments from which the work arose. Travel, softball, sex, and voodoo all somehow fit into a book that includes classic Rich articles covering such topics as the antiporn movement, the films of Yvonne Rainer, a Julie Christie visit to Washington, and the historically evocative film Maedchen in Uniform. The result is a volume that traces the development t only of women's involvement in cinema but of one of its key players as well. The first book-length work from Rich-whose stature and influence in the world of film criticism and theory continue to grow-Chick Flicks exposes unexplored routes and forgotten byways of a past that's recent eugh to be remembered and far away eugh to be memorable.
- Author BiographyB. Ruby Rich is Professor of Film and Digital Media at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She has written for scores of publications, from Signs, GLQ, Film Quarterly, and Cinema Journal to The New York Times, The Village Voice, The Nation, and The Guardian (UK). She has served as juror and curator for the Sundance and Toronto International Film Festivals and for major festivals in Germany, Mexico, Australia, and Cuba. The recipient of awards from Yale University, the Society for Cinema and Media Studies, and Frameline, Rich is the author of New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut, also published by Duke University Press.
- Author(s)B. Ruby Rich
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/1998
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note22 b&w photographs
- Weight586 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.