All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe chicken is one of the most familiar and ubiquitous of all the domestic animals, having been kept by humankind for thousands of years for its meat, eggs and feathers. It has also played and continues to play a part in religious ceremonies and other ancient rituals, aspects which are examined here. Today, chickens are found in almost every part of the world, and it is estimated that over 24 billion of them exist worldwide. Yet their exact origins are still open to conjecture, despite our long and mutual association, although they most likely stemmed from one of the breeds of Asian jungle fowl, to which many chickens bear a striking resemblance.Chickens serves as a general introduction to the many aspects of keeping domestic chickens, examining their likely origins and relationship with their closest relatives among the gamebirds, while sections on bird biology and behavior highlight the similarities and differences between chickens and other birds, providing insights into the reasons why they behave as they do. Advice is also given on choosing a chicken and where to obtain one and housing, feeding, health, and general care is considered. To finish, a comprehensive description of many of the world's most popular breeds is also provided, which will simplify the task of choosing chickens of your own.
- Author BiographyDerek Hall is a freelance author and editor, specializing in natural history, including pets. He has an Honors degree in Biology from London University. As editor, he has produced numerous pet books, covering a range of subjects including aquarium fish, horses, cats, dogs, cage birds and small mammals (rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, etc).
- Author(s)Derek Hall
- PublisherChartwell Books
- Date of Publication01/07/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChartwell Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width203 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.