All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book addresses a broad array of issues and topics related to child maltreatment and seeks to hor the sacred trust that former UN Secretary-General Annan speaks of by shedding light on how best to serve children and families confronting various forms of victimisation. Topics span from how decisions are made by child protection professionals to the tools needed to effectively advocate for system reform at the community and state levels. Section One, Practice Consideration, contains four chapters written by leading frontline professionals who explore decision making among child protection professionals, how medical and nmedical team members ideally interact and share their expertise in the context of a team, and finally how advanced training in Child Abuse Pediatrics is w being provided to physicians who make an additional 3-year commitment beyond residency to become board certified in this relatively new specialty. Section 2, Providing Care, consists of four chapters that examine human trafficking, the emergence of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in children and adolescents who have experienced child maltreatment, and takes on an international flare and explores the trends in child maltreatment in the setting of multiple births in Japan. Section 3, Prevention and Advocacy, ends the book with five chapters that seek to go upstream and which work toward systematic efforts to prevent child maltreatment. Using a quality improvement methodology, a hospital-based abusive head trauma program is implemented and evaluated in granular detail, concluding with lessons learned at the front line, where all programs either rise or fall. Next, the growing awareness of childhood adversity and the role that these early negative experiences can play in the health and wellbeing of children as they grow and develop is explored from a public health perspective. The book concludes with a call to action for effective advocacy at the community and state levels to reform the systems we have institutionalised to manage the problem of child maltreatment.
- Author BiographyAngelo P Giardino, MD, PhD, Professor of Pediatrics and Section Chief of Academic General Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, received his medical degree and doctorate in education from the University of Pennsylvania, completed his residency and fellowship training at The Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), and currently serves as Senior Vice President/Chief Quality Officer at Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston. He earned a Masters in Public Health from the University of Massachusetts, and is a Certified Physician Executive (CPE) within the American College of Physician Executives. He completed the Patient Safety Certificate Program from the Quality Colloquium and is certified in medical quality (CMQ) as designated by the American Board of Medical Quality. Dr. Giardino is a Distinguished Fellow of the American College of Medical Quality, and sub-boarded in Child Abuse Pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics. He is a recipient of the Fulbright & Jaworski L L.P. Faculty Excellence Award. He is a board member for several national and regional boards. His academic accomplishments include publishing several textbooks on child abuse and neglect and medical education, presenting on a variety of pediatric topics at national and regional conferences, and publishing numerous book chapters on education, mentoring, child maltreatment, and quality improvement.
- PublisherNova Science Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication01/05/2016
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNova Science Publishers Inc
- Weight630 g
- Width180 mm
- Height260 mm
- Edited byAngelo P. Giardino
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.