All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume offers new insights into medieval disability studies by analysing miracle testimonies from canization processes as sources for the study of medieval attitudes to and understanding of childhood physical impairments: how they were defined, and the social consequences of childhood disability on the family, on the community, and on children themselves. In these texts, laypeople from different social groups carefully described events leading to children's miraculous cures of physical impairments, as well as the conditions themselves. They thus provide an exceptionally rich (yet hitherto unexplored) window into the ways in which medieval society defined, explained, and understood children's impairments. Besides simply describing disabilities and miraculous cures, these testimonies also reveal various aspects of everyday experiences and communal attitudes towards impaired children. The few testimonies by the children themselves offer fascinating insights into personal experiences of physical disability and how disability affected a child's socialization and the formation of identity. This study thus aims to tease apart the often-complex ways in which medieval society both viewed physical differences and how it chose to (re)construct these differences in the discourse of the miraculous, as well as in everyday life.
- Author BiographyDr. Jenni Kuuliala has received her PhD from the University of Tampere, Finland. Currently she works as a researcher at the same institute. She has specialized on medieval family life, the history of disability, hagiography and medieval folklore.
- Author(s)Jenni Kuuliala
- PublisherBrepols N.V.
- Date of Publication30/05/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationTurnhout
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintBrepols N.V.
- Weight794 g
- Width165 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.