All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
About this product
- DescriptionBakan offers passionate argument and copious research in this compelling call for parents to stand up for their children (Booklist). Now in paperback, from the author of the internationally bestselling The Corporation, this vital call to arms has been praised by leading experts on children's lives as an essential read for anyone who works for or cares about children (Rosalind Wiseman, author of Queenbees and Wannabees) and engaging, carefully researched, and important (Mary Pipher, author of The Shelter of Each Other and Seeking Peace).Corporations have found a new resource to be mined for profit: our children. In this shocking and indelible behind-the-scenes journey, Joel Bakan, acclaimed author and award-winning maker of the rewned film and international bestselling book The Corporation, uncovers the astonishing degree to which companies exploit the special vulnerabilities of children, manipulate parents' fears, and operate with callous disregard for children's health and well-being. The problem today, Bakan reveals, is that business interests have made protecting children extremely difficult. Corporations pump billions into rendering parents and governments powerless to shield children from an unrelenting commercial assault, with the result that after a century of progress, during which protective laws and regulations were widely promulgated, children are once again exposed to substantial harms at the hands of ecomic actors. Childhood Under Siege leaves room for doubt that this assault on childhood is a major crisis of our time. A powerful manifesto for urgent change, it empowers us to shield our own children while offering concrete and realistic proposals for legal reforms that would protect all children from these predatory practices.
- Author BiographyJoel Bakan is a professor of law at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. His book The Corporation was published in twenty languages, was an international bestseller, and inspired the critically acclaimed hit documentary of the same name.
- Author(s)Joel Bakan
- PublisherFree Press
- Date of Publication19/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFree Press
- Weight249 g
- Width141 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.