All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.32Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionHow did children feel in the Middle Ages and early modern times? How did adults feel about the children around them? This collection addresses these fundamental but rarely asked questions about social and family relations by bringing together two emerging fields within cultural history - childhood and emotion - and provides avenues through which to approach their shared histories. Bringing together a wide range of material and sources such as court records, self-narratives and educational manuals, this collection sheds a new light on the subject. The coverage ranges from medieval to eighteenth-century Europe and North America, and examines Catholic, Protestant, Puritan and Jewish communities. Childhood emerges as a function t of gender or age, but rather of social relations. Emotions, too, appear differently in source-driven studies in that they derive t from modern assumptions but from real, lived experience. Featuring contributions from across the globe, Childhood and Emotion comes a step closer to portraying emotions as they were thought to be experienced by the historical subjects. This book will establish new benchmarks t only for the history of these linked subjects but also for the whole history of social relations.
- Author BiographyClaudia Jarzebowski is Associate Professor of Early Modern History at the Free University of Berlin, working in the field of social history, the history of emotions and early modern global history. She has published various articles and books on topics ranging from incest to childhood. Thomas Max Safley is Professor of Early Modern European History at the University of Pennsylvania. A specialist in the economic and social history of early modern Europe, he has published more than a dozen books covering the history of marriage and the family, the history of poverty and charity and the history of labour and business.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/12/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black & white halftones
- Weight470 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byClaudia Jarzebowski,Thomas Max Safley
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.