All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the publication of the first edition of Children as Philosophers in 2002 there has been an ermous growth of interest in philosophy with children. This fully revised second edition suggests ways in which you can introduce philosophical enquiry to your Personal, Social and Health Education and Citizenship teaching and across the curriculum. The book demonstrates children's capacities to engage in sophisticated processes of dialogue and enquiry about a wide range of issues and underlines the importance of listening to children's ideas. The author discusses the pleasures and challenges for adults in managing discussion and responding to children's claims to kwledge in the philosophical arena. The author also addresses the well-established Philosophy for Children movement, developed in the USA and Australia and links this to the principles of Every Child Matters. This fascinating book is an invaluable resource for all teachers and trainees seeking a thoughtful and contextualised introduction to the theory and practice of philosophical enquiry with children, including: * expanded discussion on children's voice and participation at school * the theory and practice of dialogical approaches to teaching and learning * new evidence of the educational impact of philosophy with children in the classroom * what should inform the professional choice of resources for teaching philosophy * wider international debates about learning styles, skills and intelligence. New reports are presented from children, teachers, from the fields of Gifted and Talented and Special Needs Education and from international research carried out over the last five years.
- Author BiographyJoanna Haynes is a Lecturer in Education Studies at the University of Plymouth.
- Author(s)Joanna Haynes
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/05/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight252 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.