All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the thoroughly updated second edition of this unique book, Catherine McBride examines how the languages we kw help structure the process of becoming literate. Taking an ecological and distinctively cross-cultural perspective, the book looks at reading and writing development and impairment across a range of languages, scripts, and contexts. The book covers issues including: * The importance of phological sensitivity for learning to read and to write * The first units, or building blocks, of literacy learning in different scripts such as Chinese, English, Korean Hangul, Hebrew, Hindi and Arabic * The role of visual processing in reading and writing skills * How the latest research can inform the teaching of reading * An overview of our understanding of dyslexia, including recent neuroscientific research * The developmental challenges in becoming biliterate * What is special about writing for beginners and later for comprehensive writing * Basics of reading comprehension Children's Literacy Development, Second Edition is a timely and important contribution to our understanding of literacy around the world. Written by an eminent scholar in the field, it is the only book available that provides an overview of how children learn to read and write in different languages, and will be essential reading for all students of Developmental Psychology, Educational Psychology, Psycholinguistics and Speech Therapy.
- Author BiographyCatherine McBride is a Professor of Psychology at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. She was President of the international Society for the Scientific Study of Reading in 2014-2015, and is a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science. Her research is on the process of learning to read and write from a developmental perspective, across cultures, languages, and scripts.
- Author(s)Catherine McBride,Catherine McBride-Chang
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/12/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleInternational Texts in Developmental Psychology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 black & white tables, 21 black & white line drawings
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.07Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.