All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years, the film industry in the People's Republic of China has found itself among the top three most prolific in the world. When the Chinese government introduced a new revenue-sharing system in 1994 the nation's total movie output skyrocketed with gross box office receipts totaling billions of yuan. This newfound box office success, however, has been built on an alternately competitive and collaborative relationship between the ascendant global power of China and the popular culture juggernaut of America. In China's Encounter with Global Hollywood, Wendy Su examines the intertwining relationships between the Chinese state, global Hollywood, and the Chinese film industry while analyzing the causes and consequences of the rapid growth of the nation's domestic film production. She demonstrates how the Chinese state has consolidated power by negotiating foreign interest in the lucrative Chinese market while advancing its cultural industries. Su also reveals how mainland Chinese and Hong Kong filmmakers have navigated the often-incompatible requirements of marketization and state censorship. This timely analysis demonstrates how China has cannily used global capital to modernize its own film industry and w stands poised to step clear of Hollywood's shadow. The country's debates - on- and offscreen - over cultural change, market-based ecomic reforms, and artistic freedom illuminate China's ongoing efforts to build a modern national identity.
- Author BiographyWendy Su, assistant professor of media and cultural studies at the University of California, Riverside, USA is a winner of the Pacific Affairs William J. Holland Prize.
- Author(s)Wendy Su
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication30/04/2016
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleAsia in the New Millennium
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Note3 figures, 6 tables
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.