All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionChinese gods: Who are they? Where did they come from? What do they do? Chinese folk religion is the underlying belief system of more than a billion Chinese people. Go into any Chinese home, office or restaurant and you will see altars, statues or paper 'good luck' images. And wherever there is a Chinese community there are temples and Earth God shrines. But what is the religion that makes sense of all these expressions of belief? How do these beliefs connect to Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism? Chinese Gods helps us understand the building blocks of this religion for which even the Chinese have name - because the beliefs are so intertwined with language and culture they have independent existence - and provides an in-depth analysis of 19 of the major gods of the Chinese pantheon.
- Author BiographyJonathan Chamberlain was brought up in Ireland and Hong Kong. After graduating in Social Anthropology at Sussex University, he returned to Hong Kong where he lived for many years as a teacher and writer.
- Author(s)Jonathan Chamberlain
- PublisherBlacksmith Books
- Date of Publication01/01/2009
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationHong Kong
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintBlacksmith Books
- Content Note22 colour images & 8 b/w images
- Weight328 g
- Width215 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byJohn Blofeld
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.