All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the future, the United States of America and the Peoples Republic of China have a number of fundamental issues which could escalate into any of multiple levels of conflict, from diplomatic disagreements to war. The United States military and government do t have an outstanding track record of understanding the different cultures with which the nation finds itself in conflict. This paper investigates the differences between American and Chinese interpersonal conflict management styles by looking at the roots of Chinese culture, Chinese and American cultural differences, American conflict management models, and Chinese conflict management models. The paper concludes by applying Chinese and American conflict management styles to contemporary issues involving the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea and the Republic of China. Overall, Americans overtly prefer collaborating or compromising techniques, but unconsciously tend towards competing. When compared to the Chinese, Americans are assertive and adversarial in their approach to conflict management. The Chinese, on the other hand, prefer n-confrontational strategies in order to maintain a harmonious relationship but will modify particular styles depending on the nature of the relationship. They will often involve a third party to mediate and think much more positively about avoidance and accommodation than Americans. Like the Americans, the Chinese also prefer compromise and collaboration, providing that common ground already exists between the two parties. Facework provides an overarching strategy to maintain one's face within the group and determines which style has preference in a given circumstance.
- Author(s)Christine A Locke
- Date of Publication24/10/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight204 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.