All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an excellent, user-friendly book for learning the Chinese language. Yi Ren has taught thousands of Americans to speak Chinese fluently. Now, she and co-author Xiayuan Liang share their secrets for fast mastery of Mandarin Chinese with you. China has 1.3 billion people and due to initiatives to phase out regional dialects in favor of Mandarin Chinese, nearly all of them can communicate in Mandarin. Don't let yourself be intimidated by this rewarding language. Although it is true that mastery of the Chinese language takes time, Mandarin Chinese actually has simpler grammar than English and there are conjugations--meaning anyone can learn a few important phrases in time. Chock full of extra hints and tips drawn from the authors' many years of experience teaching Mandarin Chinese in adult evening classes, Chinese for Beginners focuses on realistic situations you'll encounter when you meet people in China. New words are explained in terms of how you'll actually use them to communicate with new friends. The audio-CD is ather great way to learn Chinese and lets you listen and repeat and remember the sentences with ease, and will help you soon declare with pride, I can say that in Chinese! Chinese for Beginners includes:
- Lighthearted approaches that bring Chinese to life in a down-to-earth fashion.
- Real-life dialogues and situations to help you converse with confidence .
- An Extend Your Vocabulary feature in each chapter helps you to remember and understand more words that you'd think possible .
- Native-speaker audio recordings teach you to prounce Chinese tones accurately.
- Answer Keys help you keep track of your learning process .
- Interesting tes, idioms, sayings, photos, poems, and insider tips about China's culture, special places, and everyday life add to the adventure.
- Author BiographyYi Ren taught and did research in Beijing after graduating from Tsinghua University. On moving to the U.S. she began to teach Chinese to children at weekend Chinese Schools, and also to tutor others in Chinese. After years of being worn down by her adult students' begging her to do it, Yi decided to capture her special teaching methods on paper, in a book to help other adult Chinese learners. She lives with her family in Denver, Colorado. Xiayuan Liang practiced medicine in China before coming to the United States in 1986. She did biomedical research at Washington University in St. Louis and Georgetown University, then resumed her career as a physician. She currently is an associate professor at University of Colorado School of Medicine. In her spare time, Xiayuan likes to read and to discuss interesting topics with friends--in Chinese, of course!
- Author(s)Yi Ren
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication10/09/2012
- LanguageChinese & English
- SubjectLanguage Learning: Self Study
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content Note85 Black and White Illustrations and Photographs
- Weight517 g
- Width191 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.