All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA poignant and delightful story involving class, race, social customs, and a unique friendship that questions them all. Though they re divided by class, language, appearance you name it Chloe and Lakshmi have a lot in common. Both girls are new to Class Five at Premium Academy in New Delhi, India, and neither seems to fit in. But they soon discover how extraordinary an ordinary friendship can be and how celebrating our individuality can change the world. Whether describing the heat of a Delhi summer or the emotions of a homesick preteen in a strange land, Darnton gets the details right, bringing characters and story to life and also educating readers about the ecomic discrepancies rampant in India. Blonde American Chloe's perspective gives Western readers a way into this tale of inequality in a foreign culture. --Kirkus A solid multicultural offering for middle grade collections. --SLJ The heart of the story standing up for others, despite social or ecomic class can offer a good discussion for readers and hopefully get them thinking about those around them. --Booklist An informed and informative work of fiction that incorporates eye- opening facts about poverty and social systems outside of the United States while never losing the protagonist s authentic and relatable voice. Evocative in setting, sympathetic in character, and ble in intent, this story is for armchair travelers and seekers of fairness and friendship. --The Bulletin From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyKate Darnton is a writer and book editor from Boston. She lived with her family in New Delhi for five years. They now live in Amsterdam.
- Author(s)Kate Darnton
- PublisherDelacorte Books for Young Readers
- Date of Publication12/01/2016
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDelacorte Books for Young Readers
- Weight249 g
- Width145 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsLibrary binding,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.