About this product
- DescriptionThis is a social history of American craft. Choosing Craft explores the history and practice of American craft through the words of influential artists whose lives, work, and ideas have shaped the field. Editors Vicki Halper and Diane Douglas construct an anecdotal narrative that examines the post - World War II development of modern craft, which came of age alongside modernist painting and sculpture and was greatly influenced by them as well as by traditional and industrial practices.The anthology is organized according to four activities that ground a professional life in craft - inspiration, training, ecomics, and philosophy. Halper and Douglas mined a wide variety of sources for their material, including artists' published writings, letters, journal entries, exhibition statements, lecture tes, and oral histories. The detailed record they amassed reveals craft's dynamic relationships with painting, sculpture, design, industry, folk and ethnic traditions, hobby craft, and political and social movements. Collectively, these reflections form a social history of craft. Choosing Craft ultimately offers artists' writings and recollections as vital and vivid data that deserve widespread study as a primary resource for those interested in the American art form.
- Author BiographyVICKI HALPER is an independent curator and writer and former associate curator of modern art at Seattle Art Museum. DIANE DOUGLAS is executive director of Seattle CityClub and former director of the Bellevue Arts Museum.
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2009
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note50 illustrations, indexes
- Weight907 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byDiane Douglas,Vicki Halper
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.42Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.82
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.