Choosing the Good: Christian Ethics in a Complex World by Dennis P. Hollinger (Paperback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.93+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $44.48+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe subject of ethics has always been of fundamental importance for thoughtful Christians, but it has become even more significant in recent years with the recognition of the pluralism and post-Christian context of contemporary society. In Choosing the Good, Dennis Hollinger surveys several different approaches to ethics, considers the most critical issues facing Christians today, and suggests that any viable perspective must be rooted in a Christian worldview. Choosing the Good begins with a survey of the ethical approaches that have been adopted by secular and Christian ethicists. Beyond the common consequentialist and principle-oriented perspectives, an alternative character/virtue approach has recently found wide acceptance, particularly in the work of Alasdair MacIntyre and Stanley Hauerwas. Hollinger provides a critical analysis of these views and suggests that they overlook a critical element, which is the basis found in a uniquely Christian worldview. Next, Hollinger reflects on the application of Christian ethics in what he calls the complex world of contemporary pluralism and postmodernism. He examines the complexities of secular society and how these complexities affect Christian ethics. He then explores the factors that influence how Christians make ethical decisions, including Scripture and empirical judgment. Finally, he surveys the questions of justice, pluralism, and Christian influence in the secular world. This volume has grown out of Hollinger's many years of experience in both academic and local church settings. His work is unique in that it surveys common approaches to ethics as well as contemporary issues of critical importance. Sure to find widespread use as a text in colleges and seminaries, it will also provide Christian lay readers with an excellent analysis of the subject.
- Author BiographyDennis P. Hollinger (Ph.D., Drew University) is president and professor of Christian ethics at the Evangelical School of Theology in Myerstown, Pennsylvania. He is the coeditor of the Critical Issues in Bioethics series.
- Author(s)Dennis P. Hollinger
- PublisherBaker Publishing Group
- Date of Publication01/09/2002
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationAda, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBaker Academic, Div of Baker Publishing Group
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.05New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.85Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.