Chorizos in an Iron Skillet: Memories and Recipes from an American Basque Daughter by University of Nevada Press (Paperback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $39.63Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $15.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn intimate Basque cookbook peppered with family stories and photos and jam-packed with delicious recipes. Mary Ancho Davis invites everyone to join her at her mother's table as she recalls her family's traditions and history and shares special memories from her mother Dominga's kitchen. From huge cream puffs filled with heavy cream skimmed from the top of raw milk, to recollections of ringing the large iron triangle hanging from a tree branch outside the kitchen door, in Chorizos in an Iron Skillet Ancho Davis offers wonderful details about life and meals on her family's Basque ranch. When Ancho Davis's mother emigrated to the United States from Vizcaya, Spain, she brought many traditional Basque family recipes. Soon after arriving in the vast western land of Nevada, she realized that her ancestors' culinary traditions would need to be altered and adapted in her new home. No longer were standard ingredients readily available, as they had been in the Old Country. Dominga also learned to adjust favorite recipes to accommodate the tastes of friends, neighbors, and ranch hands t familiar with Basque flavors. In this charming cookbook, Mary Ancho Davis traces a clear path from Old Country traditional dishes to their modern versions as she shares her family's recipes and details the evolution of Basque cooking in America. A personal cookbook from one Basque family, Chorizos in an Iron Skillet is also an engaging cultural study of culinary traditions that spans several generations of Basque immigration to the American West. With recipes for everything from Chicken with Chocolate and Dominga's Basque Chorizos to Dried Apricot Pie, these Basque ranch dishes offer a multitude of delicious ideas for down-home cooking. Illustrated with photographs from the Ancho family, plus helpful advice on ingredients and cooking techniques, Chorizos in an Iron Skillet is the perfect kitchen companion for filling your home with the flavors and aromas of Basque cooking.
- Author BiographyMary Ancho Davis was born in a Basque hotel in Battle Mountain, Nevada. A graduate of the University of Nevada, Reno, she taught Spanish to both high school and university students. She delights in preparing traditional and adapted Basque cuisine for her husband, their three children, and four grandchildren.
- PublisherUniversity of Nevada Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2001
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationReno
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nevada Press
- Content Noteb&w photographs
- Weight367 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $29.95Trending at AU $33.30
- AU $31.69Trending at AU $32.01
- AU $41.50Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $26.32Trending at AU $28.88
- AU $38.65Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $26.20Trending at AU $47.59
- AU $16.23Trending at AU $20.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.