Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
About this product
- DescriptionThe book systematizes Panikkar's thought, offering a criticism, both positive and negative. Panikkar observes that Christ must t be limited to the Christian mythical context, a saviour in history. The Hindus speak of a transhistorical mediator having ten thousand echoes. Christ is t only Jesus, the symbol of the Unkwn Christ of Hinduism. Panikkar's 'cosmotheandric mystery' can be helpful for an eco-Christology. The book, however, critically points out that sharing history is t shedding mystery. Christ is the mystery in history. Hinduism stresses the mystery of mediator Isvara. Christianity shares also the historicity of Christ. Moreover, the sense of history and the expectation of a saviour in history are t totally alien (if t central) to the Hindu religion. Jesus Christ can be the realization of the asvattha, an Upanishadic tree of life whose roots are in heaven, the divine essence, and the branches in the world.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Upon receiving his Th.D. from Pontificia Universitas Gregoriana, Rome (1990), Dr. Cheriyan Menacherry CMI (ordained in 1981) began to teach Systematic Theology and Theology of world religions at Dharmaram Vidyakshetram (DVK) Bangalore, where he is also the Registrar. He received his B.A. (1978) from Bangalore University, B. Th. (1981) and M. Th. (1984) from DVK Bangalore. He is the author of Indian Philosophical Approach to the Personality of Jesus Christ, Rome, 1986.
- Author(s)Cheriyan Menacherry
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/04/1996
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleAnnual for Religious Culture
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 5
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1996
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note1 fig.
- Weight490 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.