All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChristian Democracy swept across parts of Latin America, gaining influence in Venezuela in the 1940s, Chile in the 1950s, El Salvador and Guatemala in the 1960s, and Costa Rica and Mexico in the 1980s. This book offers an overview of Christian Democracy in the region- underscoring its remarkable diversity-and examines the Christian Democratic organizations of Chile and Mexico, which are still major parties today. The concluding section analyzes the demise of formerly significant Christian Democratic parties in El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, and Venezuela. Christian Democracy in Latin America provides the definitive stufy of the nature, rise, and decline of Christian Democracy in Latin America. The book enriches the broader theoretical literature on political parties by highlighting the distinctive strategic dilemmas parties face, and the distinctive objectives they pursue, in contexts of fragile democracy or of authoritarian regimes.
- Author BiographyScott Mainwaring is the Eugene and Helen Conley Chair and is Professor of Political Science at the University of Notre Dame. Timothy R. Scully is Executive Vice-President and Professor of Government and International Studies at the University of Notre Dame.
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication25/07/2003
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note38 tables, 11 illustrations, 4 maps, bibliographical references, index
- Weight567 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byScott Mainwaring,Timothy R. Scully
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.