All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBabylon by Christian Essellen (1823-1859), a lost dramatic poem by an obscure author, is a unique representation of the revolutions of 1848-1849. A participant in and historian of the events, Essellen emigrated to the U.S. in 1852, where he spent the last years of his life. Babylon, probably written in 1850 or 1851, appeared in serialized form in 1853 in the weekly newspaper issues of Essellen's periodical Atlantis, few of which have been preserved. Firmly in the German literary tradition, the work includes characters from Greek mythology, Petrarch, Shakespeare, and Goethe, as well as various historical figures; it ends in an apocalyptic vision of the future. This edition of Babylon is presented with a biographical assessment of Essellen's life and contribution.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Cora Lee Nollendorfs, born 1941 in Lawrence, Kansas, holds a Ph.D. from Stanford University. She is an associate professor of German at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. Her research interests include the eighteenth century and German-American studies.
- Author(s)Christian Essellen
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Series TitleGerman Life & Civilization
- Series Part/Volume Number19
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight490 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.