All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis study examines how St. Augustine use the motif Christus Sacerdos to synthesize the entire mystery of Christ, to define Christian identity, and to oppose counter-identities and doctrines, especially those symbolized by pagan priesthoods. The bishop of Hippo continually joins these three elements - Christology, Christian identity, and polemic - so that the doctrine of Christ is always related to its implications for life « on the ground. Augustine shows how the doctrine of Christ entails an identity and an ideal for Christians, defining who they are and what they are to become. He reinforces his teaching about Christ and the Christian with polemic against opposing doctrines, demonstrating the truth of the Christian religion in opposition to pagan cult, and portraying Christian identity in contrast to pagan counter-identity. The study is table for its attention to how Augustine's Christology functions in his broader thought, especially his pastoral care.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Daniel J. Jones is a priest of the Archdiocese of Detroit, and Assistant Professor of Theology at Sacred Heart Major Seminary, Detroit. Born in 1953, he holds an M.A. in English and in Education (Eastern Michigan University), and an S.T.D. in Theology and Patristic Sciences (Institutum Patristicum Augustinianum, Rome).
- Author(s)Daniel J. Jones
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/07/2004
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitlePatrologia - Beitrage zum Studium der Kirchenvater
- Series Part/Volume Number14
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight660 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.