All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA searing and insightful analysis of a gangsta's transition from boy to man, street gangsta to liberation advocate. Like Claude Brown's classic Manchild in the Promised Land, Chappell takes the reader on an introspective journey exploring the true nature of the inner cities' mean streets and the individuals who inhabit them.
- Author BiographyAbdul Chappell is an articulate new author who puts a bold face on one of the millions of young Black men subjected to modern day slavery by virtue of the war on drugs. A former gang leader, Chappell was convicted for 33 grams of powder cocaine. A crime that warranted 33 months in jail in his home of Fort Worth, TX, Chappell was charged with a 20-year sentence in the federal penitentiary instead! He has since served 11 years of his sentencing. His debut book release, Chronicles & Memoirs of an Original Gangsta from his publishing house, Chappell Publishing, is a mini-manifesto which expertly breaks down and analyzes the vicious cycle of street life affecting so many youth today. Written behind bars, Chronicle & Memoirs of an Original Gangsta is the account of a man who has fallen prey to the streets. Similar to Claude Brown's classic, Manchild in the Promised Land, Chronicles is a coming of age saga that delves into the social, political and economic conditions behind street life. A stream of thought that takes us from boy to man, street gangsta to liberation advocate, Abdul's voice intelligently addresses the afflictions of our urban communities. Redefining and repositioning everything one may think they know about the dilemma, Chappell holds nothing back in an indictment of not only a society that glamorizes senseless materialism, but also a people who do not know themselves, their history or their true souls. Chappell's insightful observations about gangs, race, politics, religion and spirituality serve to enlighten, educate and inform as he not only decodes the problems but also offers solutions. A concise 160 page read, Chronicle & Memoirs Of An Original Gangsta shoots bullets into hip hop's romanticized version of the thug prototype and reveals the lifestyle for what it is; a road riddled with misery, confusion, dishonor and death. A correction in the crack cocaine drugs laws will see Chappell leave prison in 2013. He has written eight books, of which Chronicle & Memoirs On An Original Gangsta is the first. His second release Resurrection Of A Dying Breed, Birth Of A Black Ghetto Messiah is a fast paced fictional account of a drug dealer turned street legend intent on uplifting the hood. With Chronicle & Memoirs Of An Original Gangsta, he emerges from the depths of darkness inside the penal system to shine light on an atrocity that affects every sector of society.
- Author(s)Abdul D Chappell
- Date of Publication20/10/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.