All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy 1952 the Chinese Communist Party had suppressed all organized resistance to its regime and stood upposed, or so it has been believed. Internal party documents--declassified just long eugh for historian Paul Mariani to send copies out of China--disclose that one group deemed an enemy of the state held out after the others had fallen. A party report from Shanghai marked top-secret reveals a determined, often courageous resistance by the local Catholic Church. Drawing on centuries of experience in struggling with the Chinese authorities, the Church was proving a stubborn match for the party. Mariani tells the story of how Bishop (later Cardinal) Ignatius Kung Pinmei, the Jesuits, and the Catholic Youth resisted the regime's punishing assault on the Shanghai Catholic community and refused to reunce the pope and the Church in Rome. Acting clandestinely, mirroring tactics used by the previously underground CCP, Shanghai's Catholics persevered until 1955, when the party arrested Kung and 1,200 other leading Catholics. The imprisoned believers were later shocked to learn that the betrayal had come from within their own ranks. Though the CCP could t eradicate the Catholic Church in China, it succeeded in dividing it. Mariani's secret history traces the origins of a deep split in the Chinese Catholic community, where relations between the Patriotic and underground churches remain strained even today.
- Author BiographyPaul P. Mariani is Assistant Professor of History at Santa Clara University.
- Author(s)Paul P. Mariani
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication23/09/2011
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note19 halftones, 1 map
- Weight567 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.