Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIn the medieval system the Pope and Bishops ruled the Church, the Monarch and Lords ruled the State. However, in England from the fourteenth century with the rise of Lollardy, this division was increasingly challenged by the laity's insistence on their right to choose t only between different systems of Church governments but also between different forms of religious belief. Church and People traces the laity's struggle to achieve supremacy in the English Church and shows how the political and social developments between 1450 and 1660 were decisively influenced by this conflict, as Monarch, Church and Parliament sought to use lay disaffection to further their own political ends. This edition contains a new bibliographical essay.
- Author BiographyClaire Cross is currently Professor of History at the University of York, where she has taught since 1965. A Cambridge graduate, she was county archivist of Cambridgeshire from 1958 to 1961, and Research Fellow at Reading University between 1962 and 1965. Her other books include The Puritan Earl: The Life of the Third Earl of Huntingdon (1967) and The Royal Supremacy in the Elizabethan Church (1969) and she has edited The Letters of Sir Francis Hastings (1969), York Clergy Wills 1520-1600 (1984 and 1989), with N. Vickers, Monks, Friars and Nuns in Sixteenth Century Yorkshire (1995) and a collection of essays, Patronage and Recruitment in the Tudor and Early Stuart Church (1996).
- Author(s)Claire Cross
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication24/03/1999
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleBlackwell Classic Histories of England
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight506 g
- Width160 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.