All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionPublished in association with the Canada Blanch Centre for Contemporary Spanish Studies. Churchill and Spain examines why Francos regime was alone among Europe's Big Three Fascist dictatorships in being able to survive beyond the end of the Second World War, and to what extent Churchills wartime policies enabled Franco to remain in control of Spain. Richard Wigg draws upon Foreign Office documents and reports -- many of which remained secret until the 1990s or only became available in 2005 under the UK Freedom of Information Act -- and the wartime papers of Churchill and Samuel Hoare, Britains special envoy to Madrid, to investigate this important aspect of Spanish and British history. The book explores the political, ecomic and diplomatic relations between Spain and Britain during the Second World War and explains how Churchill's lenient policies towards Franco helped significantly in the survival of Franco's regime after the war. In particular, this work demonstrates how the tolerance shown towards Spain's wartime trading in wolfram allowed the rebuilding of the countrys gold reserves, which proved crucial in enabling Francos Spain to endure post-war international isolation. This book, originally published to great acclaim in 2005, and published w for the first time as a paperback, is essential reading for scholars and students of European twentieth-century history, as well as all those interested in Churchill's international role in the Second World War.
- Author BiographyRichard Wigg was a foreign correspondent for the Times for 27 years, and spent time in Europe, Latin America and Asia, including several years reporting from Madrid.
- Author(s)Richard Wigg
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSussex Academic Press
- Weight394 g
- Width229 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.