All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionWinston Churchill has rightly been voted the greatest Briton. His nine decades spanned from the era of cavalry charges to the nuclear age, and he was active in both. He had a keen historical perspective and analytical mind, and in the Second World War he was quick to oppose Hitler and see the importance of US involvement, and hence played a seminal part in ensuring the survival of t only Britain but arguably Western democracy itself. That is t to say he was without fault - the disastrous Gallipoli campaign, the creation of Iraq in 1921, his blind spot over India - all these contributed to a reputation for unreliability that dogged much of his public life. But his seven decades in the public spotlight, and in politics show that Winston Churchill deserves the stature that posterity has given him. Few characters in history have written as much as Churchill, and his writings and the photographic record happily provide the opportunity to put together a unique illustrated portrait of this remarkable man, featuring revealing facsimiles of his personal letters, documents and speeches which draw attention to the unforgettable power of his oratory, which added a heroic dimension to a leader who was undoubtedly a true statesman.
- Author BiographyDr Christopher Catherwood is a leading Churchill scholar. He is Emeritus Archives By-Fellow of Churchill College Cambridge, Fellow of the Royal Historical Society and a supervisor at Homerton College, Cambridge. He has written many books and articles including Winston's Folly, His Finest Hour - A Brief Life of Winston Churchill, A Brief History of the Middle East, The Balkans in WWII and Winston Churchill: The Flawed Genius.
- Author(s)Christopher Catherwood
- PublisherCarlton Books Ltd
- Date of Publication13/09/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAndre Deutsch Ltd
- Content Note160 illustrations
- Weight1393 g
- Width251 mm
- Height289 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.