All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionDai Jinhua is one of contemporary China's most influential theoreticians and cultural critics. A feminist Marxist, her literary, film, and TV commentary has, over the last decade, addressed an expanding audience in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Cinema and Desire presents Dai Jinhua's best work to date. In these pages she examines the Orientalism that made Zhang Yimou the darling of international film festivals, lays bare Euro-American fantasies about the Sixth Generation of Chinese cinema auteurs, establishes Huang Shuqin's Human, Woman, Demon as the People's Republic's first genuinely feminist film, comments on TV representations of the Chinese Diaspora in New York, speculates on the value of Mao Zedong as an icon of post-revolutionary consumerism, and analyzes the rise of shopping plazas in 1990s' urban China as a strange montage in which the political memories of Tiananmen Square and the logic of the global capitalist marketplace are intricately intertwined.
- Author BiographyDai Jinhua is Professor of Chinese Literature and Culture at Peking University. She teaches women's studies, cultural studies, and film. She is the author of Breaking Out of the City of Mirrors and Film Theory and Handbook of Criticism. Jing Wang is S.C. Fang Professor of Chinese Cultural Studies at the Massachusetts Insitute of Technology. She is the author of High Culture Fever: Politics, Aesthetics and Ideology in Deng's China. Tani Barlow is a historian of modern China and teaches in the Women's Studies Department at the University of Washington in Seattle. She is the author of The Question of Women in Chinese Feminism, and is senior editor of Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique.
- Author(s)Dai Jinhua
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication08/07/2002
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight374 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJing Wang,Tani E. Barlow
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.