All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe last three decades have witnessed the proliferation of gay/lesbian-themed films both on our screens and at international film festivals. This trend - termed 'hypervisibility' by Julianne Pidduck - has gone far beyond the boundaries of countries with a multicultural tradition and w reaches many territories, including the French-speaking world. What is the narrative and thematic originality of such films in French-speaking contexts? Do such feature films develop problematics and approaches specific to areas such as metropolitan France or Francophone Canada? The sixteen essays included in this collection (six in English and ten in French) aim to answer to such questions by offering in-depth and challenging discussions of film productions from France and Quebec, ranging from Patrice Chereau's L'Homme blesse/The Wounded Man (1983) via Josiane Balasko's Gazon maudit (1995) to Jean-Marc Vallee's C.R.A.Z.Y. (2005). Works by Olivier Ducastel and Jacques Martineau, Sebastien Lifshitz, Gael Morel, Francois Ozon and Lea Pool are also examined.
- Author BiographyFlorian Grandena is Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication of the University of Ottawa, where he teaches film studies. He is the author of many articles on French queer cinema and a book on new French political cinema entitled Showing the World to the World: Political Fictions in French Cinema of the 1990s and Early 2000s (2008). He is also the initiator of a cycle of conferences on gay/lesbian hypervisibility in contemporary Francophone visual cultures. Cristina Johnston is a Lecturer in French and Visual Cultures in the School of Languages, Cultures and Religions at the University of Stirling. She has published articles on sexuality in contemporary French cinema, transatlantic cinematic relations and French Republican citizenship in the post-PACS era, and the monograph French Minority Cinema (2010).
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication16/04/2011
- Languageeng, fre
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleModern French Identities
- Series Part/Volume Number98
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note99, ill.
- Weight520 g
- Edited byCristina Johnston,Florian Grandena
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.