All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe 29 prose poems in Cinematic Reveries: Gestures, Stillness, Water provide distinctive points of entry into a select group of films through attention to evocative gestures, a sense of stillness, and images of water. These original writings offer film criticism in a new form, with a tone that is at once exploratory, familiar, and elegiac. They explore the precious nature of water; they point to gestures both eloquent and obscure. They offer us moments of arrested motion as well as longer contemplative sequences in films from Asia, Europe, New Zealand, and the U.S. To cite a sentiment expressed by filmmaker Raul Ruiz in his Poetics of Cinema 2, these are tributes to great films that recognize [us] like an old relative . The reader is encouraged to explore Cinematic Reveries as a portrait of the cinema which is at times lyrical, sometimes comic, and often tinged with pathos. This celebration of the art film is richly illustrated, with suggestions for further readings and viewings.
- Author BiographyEssayist, teacher, and critic of art films, Linda C. Ehrlich has written extensively about Asian and European cinema. Her commentary on the Spanish film The Spirit of the Beehive (El espiritu de la colmena, director Victor Erice) appears on the Criterion DVD of the film. She has edited The Cinema of Victor Erice and co-edited Cinematic Landscapes: Observations on the Visual Arts and Cinema of China and Japan. Cinematic Reveries reveals another of her talents - her creative output as a poet. She has published works in international literary journals and three collections of poetry: In the Breathing Time, Night Harbour, and Bodegon. Currently, she is engaged in connecting her poetry to the theme of dance on screen.
- Author(s)Linda C. Ehrlich
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication19/07/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleFraming Film
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight260 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.