All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionWith a billion-dollar industry centred in Montreal, the province of Quebec has established itself as a major hub for contemporary circus. Cirque du Soleil has a global presence, and troupes such as Cirque Eloize and 7 doigts de la main are state-of-the-art invators. The National Circus School of Montreal - the only state-funded elite training facility in North America - is an influential leader in artistry and technique. Montreal-based Cirque du Soleil's Cirque du Monde supports arts for social change on many continents and is rewned for its social-circus training and research. Cirque Global is the first book-length study of this new variety of circus and its international impact. The contributors offer critical perspectives on this rapidly developing art form and its aesthetics, ethics, business practices, pedagogical implications, and discursive significations. Essays explore creative, entrepreneurial, and cultural forces that are shaping Quebec's dynamic uveau cirque. Lavishly illustrated with photographs from circus performances, the volume showcases Quebec circus's hybrid forms, which have merged the ethos and aesthetics of European circuses with American commercial and industrial creativity. Cirque Global is the definitive study of the phemen of Quebec circus and is an important model for future research on contemporary circus.
- Author BiographyLouis Patrick Leroux is associate professor of English and French studies at Concordia University and director of the Montreal Working Group of Circus Research. Charles R. Batson is associate professor of French and francophone studies at Union College.
- Author(s)Charles R. Batson,Louis Patrick Leroux
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication20/06/2016
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Weight680 g
- Width4039 mm
- Height5969 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.