Cirrhosis, Hepatic Encephalopathy, and Ammonium Toxicity by Springer-Verlag New York Inc. (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $125.33Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 12 Feb
- AU $183.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains the papers presented at the Inter- national Symposium on Cirrhosis, Hepatic Encephalopathy and Ammonium Toxicity , held in Valencia, Spain, November 27-29, 1989. Hepatic cirrhosis as well as other liver failures usual- ly lead to hepatic encephalopathy which is an important cause of death in occidental countries. However the molecular bases of the pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy remain unclear and several hypotheses have been proposed. Hyperammonemia is considered one of the main factors responsible for the mediation of hepatic encephalopathy. Therefore, a part of the book is devoted to the effects of hyperammonemia on cerebral function, ammonia and ami acid metabolism, brain microtobules, astrocytes and synaptic trans- mission and their possible role in the pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy. Carnitine has a remarkable protective effect against acute ammonium intoxication. Thus some results regarding this effect are also presented, as well as the clinical use of car- nitine. The alterations of the metabolism of ammonia and of seda- tives in liver diseases and their clinical implications are also discussed. The possible role of altered GABA-ergic neurotransmission on the pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy has received considerable attention recently. Results of these studies and those on benzodiazepine receptor ligands are presented as well as those on the hypothesis of the role of altered synaptic plasma membrane on the pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/04/2012
- Series TitleAdvances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Part/Volume Number272
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight552 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMaria-Dolores Minana,Santiago Grisolia,Vicente Felipo
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1990
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.