All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe numbers of the urban poor are on the increase; at the same time their position has been made more vulnerable by the recent food and ecomic crises. City authorities need to find invative strategies to eradicate urban hunger and improve the livelihoods of the urban poor. Urban agriculture provides such a strategy by enhancing access to fresh and nutritious food, and contributing to local ecomic development and social inclusion of the urban poor, especially women. It also has the effect of greening cities, promoting the productive reuse of urban waste, and reducing vulnerability to climate change. How can policy be developed to include all the relevant sectors and disciplines, including agriculture, urban land use planning, health, waste management, social housing and slum upgrading, and parks and nature management? Cities, Poverty and Food presents the experience of RUAF Foundation and provides valuable insights and guidelines which are essential reading for the staff of municipal authorities, producer groups and community-based organizations; for NGO field workers; university researchers; agricultural extension officers and others who seek to enhance participatory governance, urban food security, urban poverty alleviation and improved urban environmental management.
- Author BiographyMarielle Dubbeling is the global coordinator of the RUAF From Seed to Table Programme and was the training specialist in the RUAF Cities Farming for the Future Programme. She is also a senior adviser with ETC Urban Agriculture in the Netherlands. Henk de Zeeuw is the Director of the RUAF Foundation (International Network of Resource Centres on Urban Agriculture and Food Security) and was the global coordinator of the Cities Farming for the Future Programme. He is also a senior adviser with ETC Urban Agriculture in the Netherlands. Rene van Veenhuizen is the knowledge management specialist of the RUAF From Seed to Table Programme and held the same position in the RUAF Cities Farming for the Future Programme. He is also a senior adviser with ETC Urban Agriculture in The Netherlands.
- Author(s)Henk de Zeeuw,Marielle Dubbelling,Rene van Veenhuizen
- PublisherPractical Action Publishing
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Place of PublicationRugby
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPractical Action Publishing
- Content Note93 colour illustrations
- Weight323 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.