All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCities, initially a product of the manufacturing era, have been thoroughly remade in the image of consumer society. Competitive spending among affluent households has intensified the importance of style and design at every scale and design professions have grown in size and importance, reflecting distinctive geographies and locating disproportionately in cities most intimately connected with global systems of key business services. Meanwhile, many observers still believe good design can make positive contributions to people's lives. Cities and Design explores the complex relationships between design and urban environments. It traces the intellectual roots of urban design, presents a critical appraisal of the imprint and effectiveness of design professions in shaping urban environments, examines the role of design in the material culture of contemporary cities, and explores the complex linkages among designers, producers and distributors in contemporary cities, for example: fashion and graphic design in New York; architecture, fashion and publishing in London; furniture, industrial design, interior design and fashion in Milan; haute couture in Paris and so on. This book offers a distinctive social science perspective on the ecomic and cultural context of design in contemporary cities, presenting cities themselves as settings for design, design services and the 'affect' associated with design.
- Author BiographyPaul Knox is University Distinguished Professor and Senior Fellow for International Advancement at Virginia Tech, where he was Dean of the College of Architecture and Urban Studies from 1997 to 2006. He has published widely on urban social geography and economic geography.
- Author(s)Paul L. Knox
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/06/2010
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Critical Introductions to Urbanism and the City
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note69 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 55 black & white halftones, 14 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.