All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNonprofit organizations, their governing structures, boards of directors, and their newest constituency, members who represent the public at large, are the subject of this book. In recent years, new mechanisms have been developed to link citizens with government and with diverse policy-making entities. Earlier, it was assumed that citizens had little interest in policy deliberations, and responsibility for public needs was best left to the experts. Many citizens w believe that they have a legitimate right to influence how power is exercised in public organizations. Koff constructs a demographic profile of public members, their activities, and their opinions about board membership. She also catalogues the perspectives of executive directors about public members, identifies specific problems related to public participation, and suggests strategies to help resolve them. How effectively these bodies perform, and how well they respond to the public, are in part determined by the talents and activities of their members. All of these members, especially public members, need appropriate tools to be able to perform in a superior fashion. Despite the importance of governing bodies to an organization's performance, there has been little examination of board members in general and specifically of public members. This is the first book-length study on the subject.
- Author BiographySondra Z. Koff is professor emerita of political science at the State University of New York, Binghamton. She is the author of numerous articles and books including Italy: From the First to the Second Republic, Nurse Educators and Politics, and Health Systems Agencies: A Comprehensive Examination of Planning and Process.
- Author(s)Sondra Z. Koff
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication15/08/2009
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Weight467 g
- Width161 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.