All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis commemorative volume produced on the occasion of the centennial of the Canadian Navy, 1910-2010, records a special kind of dual citizenship: Canadians exercising the profession of the sea in their nation's service, while also living out the demands of their civilian occupations in their home communities. The perspectives of the part-time citizen-sailors who have made up Canada's Naval Reserve over the past century provide an interesting, valuable, and timely alternative history of the Canadian Navy. Most of the contributors to this volume have served in Canada's Naval Reserve, and all are respected authorities in their fields. Whether read on its own, or as the intended companion to The Naval Service of Canada, 1910-2010: The Centennial Story, readers will find much to delight and inform in this lavish combination of text, photos, and illustrations of the people, ships, and aircraft that have formed a proud national institution.
- Author BiographyRichard Gimblett is command historian of the Canadian Navy and past president of the Canadian Nautical Research Society. A former serving officer, he is a contributor to volume 1 of the official history of the Royal Canadian Navy (1867-1939), and edited and contributed to The Naval Service of Canada, 1910-2010: The Centennial Story. He lives in Ottawa. Michael Hadley is professor emeritus of German, a member of the editorial board of the Canadian Nautical Research Society, and a former long-serving officer in the Naval Reserve. His works include U-Boats Against Canada, Tin-Pots and Pirate Ships (with Roger Sarty), and Count Not the Dead: The Popular Image of the German Submarine. He edited and contributed to A Nation's Navy: In Quest of Canadian Naval Identity. He lives in Victoria, British Columbia.
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication16/11/2010
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Content Note60
- Weight1540 g
- Width247 mm
- Height304 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byDr. Richard H. Gimblett,Michael L. Hadley
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.