All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCity of Friends offers a practical, intelligent, and well-informed overview of what it means to be gay or lesbian. The authors seek to help gay men and women, as well as their families and friends, to better understand the institutions and communities that make up the most culturally and ethnically diverse mirity in America today.Beginning with basic concepts, LeVay and Nonas define the words homosexual, gay, lesbian, and bisexual and discuss the various patterns of homosexuality in different cultures around the world. They relate the history of the gay and lesbian community in the United States, and its struggle for equal rights and social acceptance, before tackling the question -- still highly controversial -- of what determines an individual's sexual orientation.City of Friends describes the great diversity within the gay and lesbian community: Life in the gay ghetto. Old lesbians in rural hideaways. Gay resorts. A town without men. Gay and lesbian Latis, African-Americans, Asian-Americans, and Native Americans -- what it means to be a mirity within a mirity. Lesbian and gay youth, the elderly, the deaf. Bisexuals and transsexuals. Academics, drag queens, techqueers, publishers, softball players -- all make their appearance in these pages.LeVay and Nonas continue with a discussion of health issues (especially of the AIDS epidemic and the community's response to it), the law, and gay and lesbian politics. They describe the cultural achievements of lesbians and gay men -- their art, literature, theater, music, and dance. Finally they take a look at the spiritual life of gays and lesbians, both within and outside of organized religion.
- Author BiographySimon LeVay, whose 1991 paper published in Science, A difference in hypothalamic structure between homosexual and heterosexual men, attracted worldwide scientific and public attention, is Associate Professor at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and Adjunct Professor of Biology at the University of California, San Diego. He is presently Chair of the Steering Committee of the Institute of Gay and Lesbian Education, West Hollywood, a new college for the gay and lesbian community in Southern California.
- Author(s)Elisabeth Nonas,Simon LeVay
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication10/04/1997
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note19
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.