All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $48.06Trending at AU $49.69
- AU $13.03Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER With brilliant and audacious strokes, E. L. Doctorow creates a breathtaking collage of memories, events, visions, and provocative thought, all centered on an idea of the modern reality of God. At the heart of this stylistically daring tour de force is a detective story about a cross that vanishes from a rundown Episcopal church in lower Manhattan only to reappear on the roof of an Upper West Side synagogue. Intrigued by the mystery--and by the maverick rector and the young rabbi investigating the strange act of desecration--is a well-kwn velist, whose capacious brain is a virtual repository for the ideas and disasters of the age. Daringly poised at the junction of the sacred and the profane, filled with the sights and sounds of New York, and encompassing a large cast of vividly drawn characters including theologians, scientists, Holocaust survivors, and war veterans, City of God is a monumental work of spiritual reflection, philosophy, and history by America's preeminent velist and chronicler of our time. Praise for City of God A grander perspective on the universe . . . a vel that sets its sights on God. -- The Wall Street Journal Dazzling . . . The true miracle of City of God is the way its disparate parts fuse into a consistently enthralling and suspenseful whole. -- Time Blooms with humor, and a humanity that carries triumphant as intelligent a vel as one might hope to find these days. -- Los Angeles Times Radiates [with] paramic ambition and spiritual incandescence. -- Chicago Tribune One of the greatest American vels of the past fifty years . . . Reading City of God restores one's faith in literature. -- The Houston Chronicle From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyE. L. Doctorow's works of fiction include Homer & Langley, The March, Billy Bathgate, Ragtime, The Book of Daniel, City of God, Welcome to Hard Times, Loon Lake, World's Fair, The Waterworks, All the Time in the World, and Andrew's Brain. Among his honors are the National Book Award, three National Book Critics Circle awards, two PEN/Faulkner awards, and the presidentially conferred National Humanities Medal. In 2009 he was short-listed for the Man Booker International Prize honoring a writer's lifetime achievement in fiction, and in 2012 he won the PEN/Saul Bellow Award for Achievement in American Fiction, given to an author whose scale of achievement over a sustained career [places] him in the highest rank of American literature. In 2013 the American Academy of Arts and Letters awarded him the Gold Medal for Fiction. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)MR E L Doctorow
- PublisherRandom House Trade
- Date of Publication19/08/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Trade
- Weight268 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.