CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
More items related to this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.25
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.47
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.42
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.47
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.41
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.60
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.42
About this product
- DescriptionThe best book we've done on the Book Club this year . (Simon Mayo Radio 2 Book Club). A vel of head-snapping ambition and heart-stopping power . (Michiko Kakutani, New York Times). Love The Wire? Then read this . (GQ). Extraordinary...dazzling...a sprawling, generous, warm-hearted epic of 1970s New York . (Observer). You're soon zipping through Hallberg's vividly realised New York like a child discovering Hogwarts for the first time . (The Times). The kind of exuberant, zeitgeisty vel, like The Bonfire of the Vanities or The Goldfinch, that you'll either love, hate or pretend to have read . (Vogue). NEW YORK. 1977. BE THERE WHEN IT EXPLODES. It's New Year's Eve, 1976, and New York is a city on the edge. As midnight approaches, a blizzard sets in - and amidst the fireworks, an unmistakable sound rings out across Central Park. Gunshots. Two of them. The search for the shooter will bring together a rich cast of New Yorkers. From the reluctant heirs to one of the city's greatest fortunes, to a couple of Long Island kids drawn to the punk scene downtown. From the newly arrived and enchanted, to those so sick of the city they want to burn it to the ground. All these lives are connected to one ather - and to the life that still clings to that body in the park. Whether they kw it or t, they are bound up in the same story - a story where history and revolution, love and art, crime and conspiracy are all packed into a single shell, ready to explode. Then, on July 13th, 1977, the lights go out in New York City.
- Author BiographyGarth Risk Hallberg's stories and essays have appeared in the New York Times Magazine, New York Times Book Review, New York magazine, Slate, Los Angeles Times, and Best New American Voices 2008. His illustrated novella, A Field Guide to the North American Family, was nominated for the Believer Book Award. He is 35 years old, and lives in Brooklyn with his wife and children.
- PrizesLong-listed for Dylan Thomas Prize 2016.
- Author(s)Garth Risk Hallberg
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication22/10/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Out-of-print date22/04/2016
- Weight1291 g
- Width160 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine55 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.