All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionIn communities across the country and around the world, people are coming together to rebuild and restore local environments that have been affected by crisis or disaster. In New Orleans after Katrina, in New York after Sandy, in Soweto after apartheid, and in any number of postindustrial, depopulated cities, people work together to restore nature, renew communities, and heal themselves. In Civic Ecology, Marianne Krasny and Keith Tidball offer stories of this emerging grassroots environmental stewardship, along with an interdisciplinary framework for understanding and studying it as a growing international phemen. Krasny and Tidball draw on research in social capital and collective efficacy, ecosystem services, social learning, governance, social-ecological systems, and other findings in the social and ecological sciences to investigate how people, practices, and communities interact. Along the way, they chronicle local environmental stewards who have undertaken such tasks as beautifying blocks in the Bronx, clearing trash from the Iranian countryside, and working with traumatized veterans to conserve nature and recreate community. Krasny and Tidball argue that humans' innate love of nature and attachment to place compels them to restore nature and places that are threatened, destroyed, or lost. At the same time, they report, nature and community exert a healing and restorative power on their stewards.
- Author BiographyMarianne Krasny is Professor in the Department of Natural Resources and Director of the Civic Ecology Lab at Cornell University. Keith Tidball is Senior Extension Associate in the Department of Natural Resources and Associate Director of the Civic Ecology Lab at Cornell University and State Coordinator for the New York Extension Disaster Education Network.
- Author(s)Keith G. Tidball,Marianne E. Krasny
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication06/03/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleUrban and Industrial Environments
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note34 figures
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.