All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDid the civil rights movement impact the development of the American state? Despite extensive accounts of civil rights mobilization and narratives of state building, there has been surprisingly little research that explicitly examines the importance and consequence that civil rights activism has had for the process of state building in American political and constitutional development. Through a sweeping archival analysis of the NAACP's battle against lynching and mob violence from 1909 to 1923, this book examines how the NAACP raised public awareness, won over American presidents, and secured the support of Congress. In the NAACP's most far-reaching victory, the Supreme Court ruled that the constitutional rights of black defendants were violated by a white mob in the landmark criminal procedure decision Moore v. Dempsey. This book demonstrates the importance of citizen agency in the making of new constitutional law in a period unexplored by previous scholarship.
- Author BiographyMegan Ming Francis is Assistant Professor of Political Science at Pepperdine University, Malibu. She completed her PhD in the department of politics at Princeton University, New Jersey in 2008, and served as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Chicago in 2008-9 and as a Jerome Hall Postdoctoral Fellow at the Center of Law, Society, and Culture at Indiana University Maurer School of Law in 2009-10. Francis's research interests include American political development, race, crime, civil liberties, and civil rights.
- PrizesWinner of National Conference of�Black Poliitical Scientists (NCOBPS):��W.E.B. DuBois Book Award 2015 and American Political Science Association: Ralph J. Bunche Award 2015.
- Author(s)Megan Ming Francis
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/04/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note8 b/w illus. 1 table
- Weight490 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.