All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book critically examines the influence of International Society on East Asia, and how its attempts to introduce 'civilization' to 'barbarous' polities contributed to conflict between China and Japan. Challenging existing works that have presented the expansion of (European) International Society as a progressive, linear process, this book contends that imperialism - along with an ideology premised on 'civilising' 'barbarous' peoples - played a central role in its historic development. Considering how these elements of International Society affected China and Japan's entry into it, Shogo Suzuki contends that such states envisaged a Janus-faced International Society, which simultaneously aimed for cooperative relations among its 'civilized' members and for the introduction of 'civilization' towards n-European polities, often by coercive means. By examining the complex process by which China and Japan engaged with this dualism, this book highlights a darker side of China and Japan's socialization into International Society which previous studies have failed to ackwledge. Drawing on Chinese and Japanese primary sources seldom utilized in International Relations, this book makes a compelling case for revising our understandings of International Society and its expansion. This book will be of strong interest to students and researcher of international relations, international history, European studies and Asian Studies.
- Author BiographyShogo Suzuki is lecturer in Chinese Politics at the University of Manchester. His research focuses on International Relations with reference to East Asia, Chinese and Japanese foreign policy and Sino-Japanese relations.
- Author(s)Shogo Suzuki
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/02/2009
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleNew International Relations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 4 black & white halftones, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.